Reed City soccer team falls to Big Rapids

Andrea Pollaski
Andrea Pollaski

REED CITY — The Big Rapids girls soccer team came to play against the Coyotes of Reed City.

The Cardinals picked up a 3-0 road win Wednesday at Reed City High. Kaitlyn Ray led the team with two goals and Leah Alley added one of her own. Big Rapids led 2-0 at halftime.

“We played hard,” head coach Curt Ray said. “We had lots of turnovers but we were able to give players some different looks at different positions.”

Big Rapids had just seven shots on goal thanks to Reed City’s mission to prevent scoring opportunities.

“They set eight or nine players in the box,” head coach Curt Ray said. “That made it hard for us to attack. We didn’t have many opportunities around the net.”

The Reed City offense came alive in the second half with four unanswered goals to lift the Coyote soccer team past Fremont 5-1 in a Central State Activities Association battle at home on April 25.

Taylor Harrison broke a 1-1 halftime tie with two goals early in the second half to put the Coyotes in control. Karlie Kearns and Makayla Roggow, who also scored in the first half, added two insurance goals.

“We played well this game,” Reed City coach Andrea Pollaski said. “Our passing is coming together. We’ve been working all season to get it wide and bring it back in after that.”

Emma McCleary got the job done as Reed City’s goalkeeper.

“Our defense played well and communicated more,” Polaski said. “We practice taking the ball and using the cover. That worked out well today. Our goalkeeper did very well.”

Kearns scored her first goal of the season.

“I was looking for my other players, was crossing it and it just went in,” she said.

Kearns is an outside player and is in her second varsity season. “I pass it to the middle and run outside,” she said. “They look for me to score whenever it’s open. I’ve improved a lot. Our new coach has taught me and I’ve improved so much this year. My footwork has gotten so much better and I’ve gotten more control of the ball.”

The Coyotes were 2-2 after this game.

“We have come so far from last year,” Kearns said. “We talk a lot more this year than last year. We need to keep working as a team and keep talking.”