Reed City falls to Big Rapids in soccer action

BIG RAPIDS — The Big Rapids Cardinals are the most recent victors in the rivalry between Big Rapids and Reed City after the Cardinals beat the Coyotes 7-2 in a Central State Activities Association (CSAA) boys soccer matchup on Monday night.

The Coyotes were in command early, controlling the field for the opening minutes, but the Cardinals were the first to score as Mark Wissink found the back of the net with 35:00 left in the opening half, giving Big Rapids a 1-0 lead.

The one-goal lead held for just over 10 minutes until Reed City’s Quinton. Kichak slid one past Big Rapids Ryan Mackall in goal to even the score at 1-1. But the Cardinals answered back at 20:02 after a shot from Wissink hit the crossbar, pulling Reed City goalie Troy Giese out of position, giving Mason Gifford an open net on the rebound to take a 2-1 lead.

The 2-1 score stayed until the 7:17 mark when Big Rapids’ Lance Strpko found Christian Conati for the 3-1 lead going into halftime.

The Cardinals came out firing in the second half as Nick Worden tallied his first goal of the evening at 33:01 in the second to give the Cardinals a 4-1 advantage.

Less than five minutes later Scott Vander Sloot scored to make it 5-1 and he added his second goal of the night six minutes later to give the Cards a 6-1 advantage with just over 20 minutes left in the contest.

The Cardinals brought Worden in for Mackall at goalkeeper with the five-goal lead, but Kichak didn’t let up, rushing Worden in goal and scoring off a rebound with 9:59 to play to make it 6-2.

“(Scoring against Big Rapids) feels nice. It really does,” Kichak said. “I like to score against Big Rapids, it’s really fun.”

However, any hopes of a comeback were dashed with 9:23 to play as Big Rapids’ Edgar Covarrubias showed some fancy footwork on the end line before sending one home, sealing the conference contest at 7-2 for Big Rapids.

The Coyotes (1-3) dropped a contest matchup, but coach Betty Kichak said she liked what she saw out of her squad.

“We played well,” she said. “We brought it together, we saw a few holes but, you know what? We didn’t give up. We played hard and we played tough. Actually, the score might not show it, but we’re pleased with our progress. We’re real pleased. We know what we’ve got to work on. I think we played a tough game (Monday).”

Reed City was coming off an 8-0 loss to Grant last week.

Reed City will be hosting Kent City Wednesday.