Reed City boys set for battle against Big Rapids

REED CITY — The Reed City-Big Rapids basketball rivalry resumes this week.

The boys basketball team plays at Big Rapids in a 7:30 p.m. contest Friday, that will be preceded by the girls game between the two teams in a Central State Activities Association Gold Division doubleheader.

The Coyotes are back home next week with CSAA games Tuesday with Central Montcalm and Jan. 23 with Central Montcalm.

An early lead for the Reed City boys basketball team didn’t hold up Tuesday night, Jan. 7, in a 51-50 non-league loss to Fremont.

The Coyote offense started out hot but couldn’t net that critical basket in the late going.

The Coyotes started out on fire in the first quarter, making it look like this could be a runaway. Taylor Pelton, Leland Yonkin and Mykel Dillard canned 3-pointers in the first quarter and when Yonkin sank his, it was 14-0.

The Packers came back, aided on a triple from Sam Kaastra, to cut the Reed City advantage to 16-11 going into the second.

“We lost our attack mentality,” Coyote senior Chris Barton said. “We were up and then we felt it was going to be an easy game.”

Fouls plagued both teams in the second quarter with the Coyotes continuing to apply the full-court pressure. Chris Barton hit two straight for a 25-16 Coyote advantage midway in the quarter. Kaastra had another 3-pointer to help the Packers narrow the Reed City lead to 31-27 at halftime.

“Everytime they brought the ball up on us, it was a foul,” Reed City coach Dean McGuire, voicing some displeasure with the officiating, said. “We had to switch what we were doing. They started shooting free throws with seven minutes left in the second quarter.”

Matt Mund picked up his fourth foul for the Coyotes early in the third. Andre Jones had a 3-point play for a 36-31 advantage at 4:50. Osvald Tranholm netted two straight 3-pointers in the final minute for a 41-38 Fremont lead going into the fourth quarter. The Coyotes continually had problems hitting their shots.

Mund connected on a 3-pointer to cut the Fremont lead to 45-44 midway in the fourth quarter. Jones hit a triple to tie the game 47-47 at 3:20. Jones hit another trey at 1:56 for a 50-49 Reed City lead. Tranholm connected with 55 seconds left for a 51-50 lead and the Coyotes couldn’t convert on the other end.

That forced Reed City to foul, although the Packers weren’t in the bonus yet and didn’t have to go to the line. Fremont turned the ball over with 20 seconds to play. But a charging call was whistled against Jones. Mund committed his fifth foul with 10 seconds to play. The Packers weren’t yet in the bonus. They were in the bonus a second later when Nathan Hoffman was fouled and missed. The Coyotes went down the court but couldn’t get a shot off as time expired.

“(All of a sudden) in the sudden half, nothing was a foul,” McGuire said.

Both teams are 2-3.

Jones led Reed City with 13 points while Barton had 11.

“When they went to the 2-3 zone, we just need more practice at it and get better at it,” junior forward Taylor Pelton said. “They attack the middle so it’s harder to get out to the lane and harder to get to our big man.”

Tranholm had 14 for Fremont.