Reed City baseball cracks win column against Morley Stanwood

REED CITY — The Reed City baseball team got it first win of the season, but it was far from conventional as the Coyotes split a Central State Activities Association (CSAA) doubleheader on Friday night with the visiting Morley Stanwood Mohawks won the first game, 9-2, and the Coyotes took the second game, 9-8, due to a rule that erased two Mohawk runs in the top of the seventh inning.

Morley-Stanwood got off to a quick start in the opener, scoring four runs in the first two innings to jump out to an early 4-0 lead. Reed City got two back in the bottom of the third thanks to a deep double from Eric Grannis, but the Mohawks kept the bats going, putting up four more runs in the bottom of the fifth to coast to a 9-2 victory in the opening game. 

Grannis took the loss for the Coyotes as he tossed 10 strikeouts.

The second game looked to be another easy one for the Mohawks as Chase Huntey got the start on the mound, allowing just one hit and no runs through five innings as the Morley Stanwood bats kept rolling, piling up an 8-0 lead through the top of the sixth.

After allowing just one hit Chase Huntey came out of the game, bringing in Mike Carey on the mound. Josh Saez got things started with a leadoff double for the Coyotes before Carey walked the bases loaded. After a walk, Kozlowski came in to pitch with zero outs and walked the first batter he faced, making it 8-1. Caleb Wilson stepped up for the Coyotes, slapping a single through the right side of the infield to score two runners, cutting the lead to 8-3. 

“The second game we just kind of got into it,” Reed City coach Marty Shaffer said. “We’ve been struggling staying in the game so I’ve been trying to preach to them, and we’ve been talking about being in the game the whole time, even when we’re losing. We were down eight, but we came back and scored nine in the inning so it can happen. Baseball is a funny game.”

The Coyotes brought three more in on walks and an error before taking a 9-8 lead on a controversial suicide squeeze in a too-close-to-call play at the plate as the Coyotes missed the bunt with the umpire calling a diving Saez safe.

With Reed City up 9-8 Morley Stanwood came back to score two runs in the top of the seventh inning to take the lead back at 10-9. The Coyotes came up in the bottom of the inning for their last chance to pick up their first win of the season, but after Tim Cairnduff hit Kyle Wright the home plate umpire called the game due to darkness, reverting the score back to the last complete inning played, giving the Coyotes the 9-8 conference win.

Austin Hansen picked up the win for the Coyotes.

Wilson went 2-for-3 for the Coyotes with two RBIs in the victory.

The Coyotes (1-9, 1-3 CSAA)  are home against Manton Thursday.