A 79-year-old woman died in a fire at a Saginaw Township apartment complex Sunday night. The Saginaw Township Fire Department announced the news in a press release on Sunday, explaining initial findings show the fire was started on accident due to the victim falling asleep while smoking. Firefighters were called to the scene of the apartment complex located at 4966 Century Dr. due to heavy smoke coming from the second floor. The initial call was received at 10:30 p.m. and the first crew arrived at 10:35 p.m. After seeing the smoke, crews advanced a hose line into the involved apartment and quickly extinguished the fire located in the bedroom, according to the release. Once the fire was out, crews discovered the deceased woman. An autopsy is being conducted by the Saginaw County Medical Examiner's Office to determine her cause of death, according to the release. The fire was contained to one apartment of the 12-unit complex, according to the release. The Saginaw Township Fire Department received assistance on the scene from the Saginaw Township Police Department.