HARTWICK TWP. - Ashley McKay was shocked by what she saw outside her window when she woke up early Tuesday morning. "When I looked out my window all I could see was a sky of orange, filled with smoke," Ashley said, describing the scene of her family's barn fire early Tuesday morning. Ashley's father and mother had already left for work when firefighters said a neighbor spotted flames around 6:30 a.m. on Tuesday. The neighbor called the fire department and then went to the home to check on the family. "I could here the dogs barking and I thought that was odd this early in\u00a0the morning," Ashley said. "I heard the knocking on the door and I looked\u00a0out the window to see our neighbor at the house in panic." Six fire departments responded to the fire on 70th Avenue in Hartwick Township. Temperatures this morning were minus 1 when firefighters arrived on the scene. The cold temperatures made the fire difficult for firefighters because water was freezing hoses to the ground, officials said. By the time firefighters arrived, Ashley was outside checking on the animals, but the barn was already fully engulfed in flames. By 9:30 a.m., the barn was reduced to a pile of smoldering timber. "I stood there, feeling helpless, waiting for the fire department to get here," Ashley said. "I was told not to go into the barn, so I just stood there waiting, watching my memories burn to the ground. I could do nothing to stop it." Ashley said she spent half her of childhood in the barn with her siblings, climbing around in the hay and playing with the animals. "We grew up playing around in that old barn and now it's smoldering rubble," she said. "We played with our cows, they were like pets to us kids." As Ashley walked around the barn, she pointed out items her grandparents would use when Ashely was a young girl. "That's my grandmother's milker," she said. "It is weird to see the milker lying there on it's side, surrounded by charred boards and twisted metal." The family managed to save their six cows and dogs from inside the barn. They lost some dairy equipment and a farm tractor, along with other items. The building was not insured, said Ashley's father, Randy. The barn has been in the McKay family since 1953, but the barn itself was 100 years old, Randy said. "I don't know what we will do going forward," Randy said. "This barn has been in our family for years. It's a total loss." Even though the barn was destroyed, firefighters were able to keep the fire from damaging the family home and a nearby barn filled with hay. "We are just happy it wasn't worse," Randy said. "We are very thankful for the firefighters who helped. If the wind would have changed we could of lost our home or more." There was no injuries to the family, but one of their cow's hair was singed when the animal escaped the flames. "She appears to be fine," Ashley said. "She is starting to calm down now, but you can see her hair is brown from the fire." It is unknown how the fire started. The McKay family is waiting for the barn to stop smoking before going through the destroyed structure to see how much they lost. "We are very fortunate," Ashley said. "It will be a while before we can start going through the stuff inside the barn. It will be hard sorting through the wreckage because of all those memories. I spent half my life playing and working in the barn. It is tough to see it gone." "We are just grateful no one was hurt," Randy said. "Very thankful to everyone who responded."