Veterans Day events set through the weekend
OSCEOLA COUNTY — Throughout the week, Osceola County residents will take a moment to recognize and say "thank you" to those who have served in the nation's armed forces.
Veterans Day is Saturday, Nov. 11, and to commemorate the service and sacrifice of local military men and women, schools and organizations in the area will host various programs.
• Trinity Lutheran Church and School in Reed City is hosting a Veterans Day Chapel Service from 10 to 11:30 a.m. today, Wednesday, Nov. 8.
• Evart High School will be honoring veterans during an assembly from 1 to 2 p.m. During the assembly, local "Voice of Democracy" essay contest winners will read their works, the band will play and the choir will sing the "Star-Spangled Banner."
• Students at G.T. Norman Elementary School in Reed City will host their annual Veterans Day Program at 9 a.m.
• Pine River Schools will host Veterans Day assemblies throughout the schools on Friday. The "Honoring All Veterans" program begins with the fourth- through seventh-graders at 9 a.m. in the middle school gym, and will be followed by the eighth- through 12th-grade classes at 12:30 p.m. in the high school gym. The final portion of the program will begin at 1:30 p.m. in the LeRoy Elementary gym and will feature kindergarten through third-grade students.
• The Marion Area Chamber of Commerce is sponsoring a Veterans Day ceremony from 9 to 10 a.m. at the Veterans Monument in Marion.
• The Evart VFW Post. No. 7979 is having a Veterans Day ceremony at 11 a.m. on Saturday, Nov. 11, at Guyton Park in Evart.
• The Reed City VFW Post No. 2964 and AMVETS Post No. 2965 are hosting their annual Veterans Day Dinner at 4 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 11. It will include a roasted pork meal with sides. The meal is free to all veterans and active-duty military members. There is a fee for others.