OSCEOLA COUNTY — January is Radon Awareness Month and the Central Michigan District Health Department invites families and individuals to join others in taking the “test” for radon in your home.
Radon is a cancer-causing radioactive gas. It cannot be seen, smelled, or tasted, but it may be a problem in the home. When people breathe air which contains radon, they increase the risk of getting lung cancer. In fact, the Surgeon General says radon is the leading cause of lung cancer deaths among nonsmokers in America. About 20,000 Americans will die each year of radon-related lung cancer. More than 600 of these people will reside in Michigan. If you smoke and your home has high radon levels, your risk of lung cancer is especially high.