Taste of Osceola will get mouths watering

Annual event slated for May 12

EVART — Bites of food that feature the tastes and textures Osceola County has to offer will be available to attendees at the third annual Taste of Osceola.

This year's event, sponsored by the Osceola Leadership Summit, will take place from 5:30 to 7 p.m. on Monday, May 12, in the community building at the Osceola County 4-H FFA Fairgrounds.

Frontline Specialists President and CEO Al Weinberg, who facilitates the summit, said the event was formed by members of the 2012 class as a fundraising event. Now, the event has become one with staying power.

"This is a fun event because there is a ton of different types of food and the various restaurants are showcasing their best," Weinberg said. "Osceola County has a lot to offer and this is another event that breaks down the walls between communities."

This year, about 10 to 15 vendors are expected to bring tastings of their most popular dishes and offerings. Restaurants, eateries and catering companies have something for everyone, Weinberg said.

In addition, 70 percent of the event's proceeds will be donated to the Osceola County Commission on Aging for its Meals on Wheels program. The other 30 percent will be placed into a scholarship fund for those interested in participating in the OLS.

"The commission's Meals on Wheels program is a really important part of the community and it allows senior citizens to keep their freedom and independence," Weinberg said.

Tickets to the event can be purchased at the door and are $10 for adults, $5 for children 4 to 10 years old and free for children 3 and younger.