Osceola County to host annual Relay for Life
OSCEOLA COUNTY – A community tradition will continue as Osceola County hosts its annual Relay for Life event at the Osceola County Fairgrounds, at 732 Recreation Blvd. in Evart.
The event will run from noon on Friday, June 20, to noon on Saturday, June 21. Sponsorship Chair Shilo Defreese has participated in Relay for Life of Osceola County for the last five years, and is a team captain this year. She said the event tends to attract a lot of community support for those affected by cancer in the area.
"For us, it’s about focusing on the community," she said. "There are a lot of survivors in this county and there are a lot of people who have been diagnosed in our community."
Defreese said popular events will include a silent auction on Saturday evening and a 5K run and walk on Friday morning. Each registered team also will be hosting individual fundraisers and activities in their areas around the track.
About 15 teams have already registered for the relay, Defreese said. Additional teams are still welcome to sign up.
"It started a little smaller but it's growing each year," Defreese said. "We have a goal for about 80 survivors to come and register.”
Registered survivors will be provided with a reception, dinner and ceremony in their honor. The survivor's lap will take place at 6 p.m. on Friday, with the dinner to follow.
To register a team or support the event, visit relayforlife.org and search Relay for Life of Osceola County under the events tab.
Here is a list of this year's Relay for Life laps:
Friday, June 20
Saturday, June 21
- Noon Girl Scout Flag Ceremony Kick Off
- 12:15 p.m. Give Cancer the Boot (Wear your favorite boots)
- 12:30 p.m. Purple Power
- 1:00 p.m. Musical Chairs - in front of grandstand
- 1:15 p.m. Make Noise to Finish the Fight Lap
- 1:30 p.m. "Support" the Cause Lap - Best team decorated bra competition
- 2:00 p.m. Karaoke Sing-Along
- 2:30 p.m. Sock it to Cancer – (wear your coolest looking socks)
- 3:00 p.m. Song Dance Lap – Purple Hand Dance - Dance While Wearing Purple Gloves
- 3:30 p.m. Relay Races – (in front of grandstand)
- 4:00 p.m. Kids Games – Kambers Crew campsite
- 4:30 p.m. Wet t-shirt Race – In front of grandstand
- 5:00 p.m. Annoying Song Lap – Must pay $5 to change a song that is on repeat
- 5:30 p.m. American Pride Lap – Everything red, white and blue
- 5:45 p.m. Opening Ceremony – Flag Raising – Sweet Adelines sing Star Spangled Banner – Veterans Lap
- 6:00 p.m. Survivor Lap
- 6:15 p.m. Survivor Dinner
- 6:30 p.m. Survivor/Caregiver photo
- 7:00 p.m. Dove Release – Grandstand, followed by Sweet Adelines singing
- 7:30 p.m. Tracy's Band Performs 7:30 to 9 p.m.
- 8:00 p.m. Team Banner Lap – Team Picture
- 8:30 p.m. Fight Back Lap
- 9:00 p.m. Tyler and Lyndie Spurbeck Song Dedication
- 9:15 p.m. Lighting of Luminary, Reading of Names
- 9:30 p.m.
- 10:00 p.m. Best Prom Dress Lap (wear your best prom dress)
- 10:30 p.m. Pajama Lap
- 11:00 p.m. Gold Wing Show
- 11:30 p.m. Glow Lap
- 11:45 p.m. Teams Lighted Balloons Release
- Midnight Pizza Lap (Xplicit Citizen performs from midnight to 2 a.m.)
- 12:30 a.m. Headbands Game
- 1:00 a.m. Glow Bowling
- 1:30 a.m. Scrabble Lap
- 2:00 a.m. S'Mores Party - Kambers Crew Campsite
- 2:30 a.m. Glow Ring Toss
- 3:00 a.m. Minute to Win It Games Lap
- 3:30 a.m. Sparkler Lap
- 4:00 a.m. Zumba
- 5:00 a.m. Cool Down from Zumba Lap
- 5:30 a.m.
- 6:00 a.m.
- 6:30 a.m. Coffee and Cocoa and Breakfast Lap
- 7:00 a.m. Wake Up and Finish the Fight Relay Lap
- 7:30 a.m. Bubble Lap
- 8:00 a.m. Registration of 5K at Kambers Crew Campsite
- 8:30 a.m. Relay 5K Begins
- 9:00 a.m. Committee Lap
- 9:30 Emergency Services Lap – Walk a mile in my gear
- 10:00 a.m. Mummy Wrap Lap
- 10:30 a.m. Tug O War Lap
- 11:00 a.m. Clean up the Track Lap
- 11:30 a.m. Closing Ceremony
- Noon Last Lap and Toll Bell