New app puts power to help save lives in hands of blood donors
OSCEOLA COUNTY — The American Red Cross is launching a first-of-its kind Blood Donor App today that puts the power to save lives in the palm of your hand.
The Blood Donor App allows users to schedule blood donations, track their total donations, earn rewards and invite friends to join them on a lifesaving team. The new app is free and available for download now in app stores.
“The Red Cross Blood Donor App is a new way to help meet the constant need for blood,” said Todd Kulman, communications program manager. “The app makes it easier, faster and more convenient for users to schedule and manage their donation appointments, track the lifetime impact of their donations and recruit friends and family to roll up a sleeve with them.”
As the nation’s single largest supplier of blood and blood products, the Red Cross is uniquely positioned to bring this cutting edge technology to blood and platelet donors. In addition to scheduling and managing blood donation appointments, other features of the app include:
- A blood drive or blood donation locator
- The ability to sync a blood donation appointment with the user’s calendar
- Personalized “selfies” donors can use as they share their donation experience through social media
- Special badges donors can unlock as they interact with the app, make donations and spread the word
- A chance for donors to come together to form teams, tracking their cumulative impact and viewing standings on the Blood Donor Teams Leaderboard
- Exclusive offers and discounts from some of America’s best brands, including Shari’s Berries, ProFlowers and 1A Auto, with new rewards added regularly, and
- Uplifting donor and blood recipient stories that show the power of rolling up a sleeve to help save lives
The Red Cross has become a leader in putting vital safety information in the hands of people who need it during emergencies, with its award-winning disaster and preparedness apps downloaded more than 5 million times over the past two years. The new Blood Donor App takes it one step further by helping people save lives through blood donations.
The Blood Donor App, along with the others, can be found in app stores by searching for American Red Cross, visiting redcross.org/apps or redcrossblood.org/bloodapp, or by texting BLOODAPP to 90999 for a direct link to download. Message and data rates for texting may apply.