REED CITY — There will be two opportunities for area residents to dispose of unwanted medical items next week, with more chances coming throughout the year.
The medication take-back events are the result of a partnership between Spectrum Health Big Rapids and Reed City Hospitals and the Ten16 Recovery Network.
Anyone who uses needles to manage their medication or has leftover prescriptions is encouraged to bring the materials to the hospitals during the specified times for proper disposal.
Over the last year, the program has served 221 people, collecting 359.9 pounds of medication and 287.7 pounds of needles.
Unwanted medications to be accepted include:
- over-the-counter medications
- pet medications
Radioactive medications will not be accepted.
Drop-off sites are scheduled at the following times:
- From 3 to 6 p.m. Tuesday, March 28, in the main lobby of Reed City Family Practice, located at 300 N. Patterson Road, Reed City; and
- From 3 to 6 p.m. Thursday, March 30, at the Big Rapids Hospital Main Lobby, located at 605 Oak St., Big Rapids.
Medications should be in their original container and all identifying personal information on prescription labels should be blocked out. Individuals can stop by at any time during the three-hour window and dispose of unwanted items. For more information, call (231) 592-4493.
Additional take-back dates have been set through the remainder of the year, as well. Those dates include:
- 3 to 6 p.m. July 25, Spectrum Health Hospital Reed City
- 3 to 6 p.m. July 27, Spectrum Health Hospital Big Rapids
- 2 to 5 p.m. Aug. 29, Spectrum Health Evart Clinic
- 2 to 5 p.m. Aug. 30, Spectrum Health Tustin Clinic
- 2 to 5 p.m. Aug. 31, Spectrum Health Canadian Lakes Clinic
- 3 to 6 p.m. Dec. 5, Spectrum Health Hospital Reed City
- 3 to 6 p.m. Dec. 7, Spectrum Health Hospital Big Rapids
Anyone with questions is asked to contact Kim Livingston at (231) 527-2000 or by email at email@example.com.