Marion celebrates Clark Day

MARION — Residents of Marion celebrated the village founder, Christopher Clark, on Saturday, Sept. 10.

Like other communities in the surrounding area, Marion was settled for the abundant supply for lumber. Clark built a sawmill and Marion became a village in 1889. The dam Clark built for his sawmill is now being used for recreational purposes and enjoyed by citizens and visitors.

On Clark Day, Jim Baughn and Bernard Prielipp served a boiled dinner cooked over an open fire with homemade breads and desserts, compliments of members of the Marion Historical Society.

Throughout the day, quilts from the past and present also could be viewed inside the museum.

Members will open the museum for visits during the fall and winter months. For more information, call (231) 743-6218, 743-2854 or 743-2225.