LOCAL POLICE REPORTS — Jan. 3
Reed City Police Department
Dec. 24, 2017 to Dec. 30, 2017
If you see any suspicious activity, call 911. For a non-emergency call 832-3255. Email tips to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Reed City Police Department is advising residents not to plow snow across a street or into the street. This is a civil infraction, with fines of between $200 and $500 for those who are not compliant.
Winter parking ordinances have begun and will run until April 1. There is no parking on any city streets from 2:30 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. This is a $30 fine. Any and all vehicles in violation will be cited a parking ticket and/or towed.
It is a violation of the law to operate a vehicle on the roadway with the amber warning light flashing. This does not apply to exempt vehicles such as municipal, county, or state plow vehicles or funeral vehicles.
Aftermarket flood lights on vehicles are not legal to use on the roadway unless they are Department of Transportation approved and mounted in a manner consistent with state law. It also is a violation to be in use of such lighting off of a public street, such as when engaged in snow removal from a business parking lot, if the brightness interferes with traffic.
• Officers were dispatched to a local gas station to assist EMS with a subject who had fallen in the parking lot. The responding officers performed traffic and crowd control at the scene until the subject was loaded into the ambulance and transported to the Reed City Spectrum Health Hospital.
• Officers were dispatched to assist the Reed City Fire Department at a garage fire on Church Avenue. The responding officers performed traffic and crowd control at the scene until the fire personnel were finished.
• Officers arrested a 34-year-old man who had two outstanding warrants. He was transported to the Osceola County Jail without incident.
• Officers were requested to assist an Osceola County parole officer with a possible parole violation. The matter was unfounded.
• Officers arrested a 36-year-old woman who had a warrant for failure to appear for pretrial. She was transported to the Osceola County Jail, where she was lodged without incident.
• Two abandoned vehicles covered in snow for three days had been observed in a local driveway. An officer made contact with the owner and served the appropriate vehicle abatement paperwork, giving 10 days to rectify the situation.
• Officers were dispatched to the Reed City Spectrum Health Hospital regarding a disorderly mental evaluation patient in the emergency room. Officer arrived, finding the patient had begun to cooperate. Medical staff stated they no longer needed assistance.
• Officers received a report regarding the misuse of an electronic device with cellphone hacking. The matter is under investigation.
• Officers were requested to respond to the probation and parole office at the Osceola County 77th District Court regarding a 33-year-old man to be arrested on a probation detainer. Upon running the individual through the Law Enforcement Information Network (LEIN) he was found to also have two probation violation warrants out of a neighboring county. He was placed under arrest and transported to the Osceola County Jail, where he was lodged without incident.
• Officers were dispatched to the probation and parole office at the Osceola County 77th District Court for a detainer arrest. The 32-year-old man was placed under arrest and transported to the Osceola County Jail, where he was lodged without incident.
• Officers were dispatched to perform a well-being check. The 911 caller was slurring her words as she reported someone walking around her home, while she remained in bed. Officers arrived to find a family member in the home. The adult son reported he just arrived home from his second shift job. He added his mother who made the call had taken a sleeping pill and didn’t realize he was home. The officers were allowed to search the home and confirm there was no intruder to be found.
• While on foot patrol late in the evening, an officer found an open door to a local business. The building was checked, the officer secured the doors and cleared the scene.
• While on patrol, officers observed a suspicious situation regarding a man avoiding officers by stepping back into the shadows when seen by police. The man attempted to flee from the officers. Once officers caught up with the man, he was questioned and released.