HOUSE FIRE: Reed City firefighters battle blaze on Fifth Street
It’s possible that lightning sparked a house fire near downtown Reed City early Tuesday morning, according to sources at the scene where firemen worked to quench that fire and protect nearby homes in the residential area.
Joe Ernest is believed to be the owner of the home located at 210 W. Fifth Street, just off Higbee. A line of people stood on the Rails-to-Trails, watching smoke billow from the house as firemen hosed down the roof of a house next door as well.
One man reported lightning hit “really close” just before he heard sirens. Ernest was at home when the fire started, but believed to be unharmed. An acquaintance of Ernest said her first thought when she learned it was his house was “that he does such good things, and then something like this happens.” She specifically mentioned that Ernest had recently donated hair to Locks of Love.
Firemen were still at the scene at 10:15 a.m., and assisted by other departments, including LeRoy-Rose Lake Fire Department