Free portfolio review for artists and designers set for Oct. 29
Submitted to the Herald Review
GRAND RAPIDS — The 2017 Michigan National Portfolio Day, an event offering emerging artists and designers the chance to have their work reviewed and connect with professional representatives from 29 accredited art and design colleges from the United States and Canada, will be hosted by Kendall College of Art and Design of Ferris State University (KCAD) on Sunday, Oct. 29.
National Portfolio Day is a unique opportunity for those who wish to pursue an education in art and/or design. Attendees will be able to meet individually with experienced post-secondary representatives who will take an in-depth look at their existing portfolio of creative work and provide valuable feedback and guidance. Attendees will also have the chance to explore specific schools’ program offerings and get focused answers to questions about professional careers in art and design.
“KCAD is thrilled to host the 2017 Michigan National Portfolio Day. We look forward to welcoming so many individuals who share our commitment to creativity, and to providing opportunities for the next generation of artists and designers to put their passion into action,” said KCAD President Leslie Bellavance.
High school students, parents, teachers, guidance counselors, and college transfer students are encouraged to attend. Attendees are advised to bring their best and most recent work, but are also encouraged to include works in progress or sketchbooks, as portfolio reviewers are equally interested in seeing the creative processes behind the work.
The 2017 Michigan National Portfolio Day will take place inside KCAD’s 17 Fountain St. NW building. The day’s schedule of events is as follows:
8:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Check In
1 p.m. to 5 p.m. National Portfolio Day - Portfolio Reviews
In addition, from 9:15 to 11:45 a.m. KCAD will be offering “Get to Know KCAD” campus tours and presentations.
2017 Michigan National Portfolio Day is free and open to the public. Pre-registration is highly encouraged. To pre-register, visit kcad.edu/events/npd-2017. For more information, call (616) 451-2787.
Representatives from the following schools will be in attendance:
• Alfred University, School of Art and Design (Alfred, N.Y.)
• Art Academy of Cincinnati (Cincinnati, Ohio)
• Art Center College of Art and Design (Pasadena, Calif.)
• Bowling Green State University, School of Art (Bowling Green, Ohio)
• California College of the Arts (San Francisco, Calif.)
• Cleveland Institute of Art (Cleveland, Ohio)
• College for Creative Studies (Detroit, Mich.)
• Columbus College of Art and Design (Columbus, Ohio)
• The Cooper Union School of Art (New York, N.Y.)
• Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising (Los Angeles, Calif.)
• Grand Valley State University (Allendale, Mich.)
• Herron School of Art and Design (Indianapolis, Ind.)
• Kendall College of Art and Design of Ferris State University (Grand Rapids, Mich.)
• Laguna College of Art and Design (Laguna Beach, Calif.)
• Lawrence Technological University (Southfield, Mich.)
• Maryland Institute College of Art (Baltimore, Md.)
• Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design (Milwaukee, Wis.)
• Nova Scotia College of Art and Design (Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
• OCAD University (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
• Otis College of Art and Design (Los Angeles, Calif.)
• Pacific Northwest College of Art (Portland, Ore.)
• Pratt Institute (Brooklyn, N.Y.)
• Ringling College of Art and Design (Sarasota, Fla.)
• Rocky Mountain College of Art + Design (Denver, Colo.)
• School of the Art Institute of Chicago (Chicago, Ill.)
• School of Visual Arts (New York, N.Y.)
• Stamps School of Art & Design – University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, Mich.)
• University of Saint Francis, School of Creative Arts (Fort Wayne, Ind.)
•Western Michigan University, Gwen Frostic School of Art (Kalamazoo, Mich.)