Fire destroys Chase barn

A fire completely destroyed a barn on South Frank Smith Road in Chase on Wednesday.

Cathy Kearns said her husband, Alan, had been working outside on the couple’s property all day. At approximately 3 p.m., Alan came into the house for a moment to take a break.

He hadn’t been in the house for more than “five to 10 minutes” when Alan told her to call 9-1-1 because the barn was on fire, Cathy said.

By the time fire crews arrived on the scene, most of the large barn had collapsed and only parts of its frame remained. A nearby pole barn also caught fire, but crews extinguished the flames before much damage had been done.

The barn had approximately a dozen calves inside when it caught fire and eventually collapsed. The calves did not make it out of the blaze. The cause of the fire wasn’t immediately known, and Cathy was unaware of any machinery inside that might have caused the blaze.