Evart cheerleaders earn all-district honors

EVART — Evart enjoyed another strong season of competitive cheer and had two girls recognized for all-district honors.

Taylor Moored and Amber Pattee received district honors. Pattee was second team and Moored earned honorable mention honors.

Moored, a senior, was in her third varsity season. She usually was positioned as a base and a tumbler.

“It went really well,” she said of the team season. “We were strong in almost all areas. We went from getting seconds, thirds and fourths to getting firsts. This year, we were getting first at a lot of them. The least we got was third except for districts (sixth). We had a lot of people with a lot of talent.”

One of the highlights of the season was winning the home Evart Invitational.

“The first one we competed at, at Roscommon, we got first, so that was nice,” Moored said.

Since November, when practices began, the team improved “a lot,” Moored said. “We worked on tumble runs and stunts and tried new stuff, there was a lot of improvement.”’

Moored also played Evart volleyball in the fall.

“They’re so opposite,” Moored said, when asked to compare the two sports. “There’s a lot of lifting and a lot of being able to do backflips and stuff like that. In volleyball, you have to be individually dedicated to what you do.”

Amber Pattee is a senior. Her mother, Marty Pattee, coaches the team. Among Pattee’s positions on the teams were base and flyer. She was on varsity four seasons.

“This was probably our most successful year in a long time,” she said.

In terms of her favorite position, “I like them all,” Pattee said. “It was equally different challenges.”

Pattee said Round 2, which featured gymnastics skills, was her team’s best round. The squad showed continued improvement in Round 3, which features stunts and mounts.

The season ended for Evart in the districts at home on Feb. 19. The Wildcats took sixth place. The top four advanced to the regionals.

“We did really good,” Pattee said of her team’s districts’ performance. “It was really tough.”