Christmas surrounds Evart throughout December
EVART — Throughout the month of December, the city of Evart will be flooded with the Christmas spirit, thanks to a variety of family-friendly events that can turn the biggest Grinch into Cindy Lou Who.
Christmas in a Small Town is the name for the entire list of features the community is set to host and enjoy. The happenings extend through Christmas Eve. Bazaars, Christmas programs, concerts and more are slated to take place throughout the weeks leading up to the holiday.
The month-long extravaganza is like a Christmas kickoff event, according to Evart Mayor Eric Schmidt.
"Christmas in a Small Town gives Evart a better sense of community," Schmidt said. "Many organizations and volunteers come together for this great event. The best part is to see all the smiling faces and the Christmas cheer that is spread."
One of the larger events is the annual Christmas Carnival, which takes place from 1 to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 6, between the Evart Depot and Crossroads Community Church. The carnival will offer families and children of all ages the opportunity to spend time together while enjoying a Christmas Variety Show with Christmas comedy and Steppin' Up Dance Studio members, food including hot dogs and hot chocolate, family portraits and more. Santa Claus also is expected to attend the event.
"The citizens of Evart have proven how caring and neighborly they can be," Schmidt added. "Evart is a town that cares and Christmas in a Small Town is just one route we can give back to the people."
Following is a schedule for Christmas in a Small Town:
- Wednesday, Dec. 4: Evart Concert Band's Winter Concert — The Evart Cadet, middle school, and high school concert bands perform Christmas classics from 4 to 6 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 6: Christmas Carnival — A free family event from 1 to 4 p.m. featuring Santa, hot dogs, hot chocolate, euro-bungee, crafts, family portraits and a Christmas Variety Show with Christmas Comedy and Steppin’ Up Dance Studio. Located at the Evart Depot and Crossroads Community Church.
- Saturday, Dec. 6: Holiday Bazzar — Vendors from all over the state will be selling holiday crafts and gifts from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Evart Middle School gym. All proceeds go to the Evart Middle School PTA.
- Thursday, Dec. 11: 4th Grade Play — Fourth graders will perform "North Pole Exposure," from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Evart Middle School Auditorium.
- Saturday, Dec. 13: Osceola County Expo — A small business arts and crafts show from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Osceola County Fairgrounds.
- Sunday, Dec. 14: Children's Christmas Musical — Children will perform a program called "For the Glory of the King" at 10:45 a.m. at the Evart Middle School Auditorium.
- Sunday, Dec. 14: Christmas Cantata — Performers will take part in "From Christmas to Calvary" from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the First Baptist Church.
- Sunday, Dec. 14: Christmas Program — Performers will participate in "A Heavenly Plan" at 6 p.m. at the Evart Free Methodist Church.
- Wednesday, Dec. 24: Candle light services will take place at 7 p.m. at the Calvary Baptist Church and Crossroads Community Church. Christmas Mass will take place at 4 p.m. at Sacred Heart Catholic Church.