$14K in People Fund grants awarded to local organizations
OSCEOLA COUNTY — Great Lakes Energy members continue to lend a hand to local community causes through their voluntary contributions to the People Fund.
The People Fund Board of Directors awarded a total of $14,188 in grants in February to the following non-profit organizations in western and central Michigan:
1. Manistee Child Advocacy Center, Manistee: $2,800 for the purchase of a wireless video camera and computer.
2. LeRoy Razzaque Days, LeRoy: $3,038.15 to purchase a wagon for their kielbasa trailer.
3. RSVP, Big Rapids: $600 to train volunteers to be literacy tutors.
4. District Health Department #10, White Cloud: $1,250 to fund the insurance fees for the Girls on the Run program for Mason, Lake, Manistee and Wexford counties.
5. HELP, Ludington: $2,500 to fund the purchase of new appliances for low income families.
6. Scottville Area Senior Center, Scottville: $1,000 for tables and chairs.
7. Mason County District Library, Scottville: $500 for Circus Day, a free family event.
8. Sandcastles Children’s Museum, Ludington: $1,500 for a SMART table.
9. American Red Cross, Mecosta/Osceola Chapter, Big Rapids: $1,000 to purchase supplies for their health and safety classroom training.
The People Fund is supported solely by Great Lakes Energy members who allow their electric cooperative to round up their bill each month to the next dollar. Since 1999, more than $2 million in grants have been awarded to charitable and community organizations throughout Great Lakes Energy’s
26-county service area, which stretches from Kalamazoo to the Mackinac Straits.
“During these tough times for many families, the Great Lakes Energy People Fund needs support more than ever,” says President/CEO Steve Boeckman. “The average monthly contribution is just 50 cents per month. Members can enroll very easily by contacting us so we can continue to help local, worthwhile organizations in need.”
Non-profit organizations can apply for a grant through the People Fund by downloading the application at www.gtlakes.com or by calling Great Lakes Energy, 1-888-485-2537. The next grant application deadline is June 1, 2011.