Back in time

50 Years Ago – FEBRUARY 5, 1965

SMILE for the DAY

Teacher asked 10-year-old Johnny — if his father sold fifteen hundred bushels of grain at $2.00 a bushel what would he get? Without hesitation Johnny replied — a new car.

Avoid that “run down” feeling, cross the street at intersections.


Johnson Dist. 1

Vurl Gray called on Mr. and Mrs. Jr. Gray Sunday evening.

Mr. and Mrs. Sam Witt and Paul were Sunday dinner guests of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Gladstone.

Mr. and Mrs. Charles Eschenweck were in Clare Saturday evening on business. They spent the remainder of the evening visiting their son and family, Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Eschenweck of Sears.

Mr. and Mrs. George McLachlan were evening dinner guests of Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Johnson Friday evening.

The Pogy Lake Farm Bureau Group met Friday night at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Thompson. After the business meeting adjourned a lunch was served by the hostess.

Sunday dinner guests of Mr. and Mrs. Bill Walters were Mrs. Fritz Hodges and grandchildren, Mary, Dawn and Fritz Hodges. Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hodges were also callers during the day.

70 Years Ago – FEBRUARY 1, 1945


Loren Dickinson, who has been at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Homer Dickinson the past three weeks, returned to Ypsilanti Friday.

Mr. and Mrs. George Gugle, Mr. and Mrs. Ira Becker and son and Mrs. Anthony Becker called on Mrs. James E. Perry Friday.

Ann Louise and Josephine Olson and Marie Henry were absent from school last week because of illness.

Mr. and Mrs. Gilford Hockey and daughter, Barbara of Grand Rapids were Sunday callers at the Earl Henry home.

Rev. Belknap was calling in this vicinity Tuesday.


The following letter received by Mr. and Mrs. G.W. Corey was delayed enroute and did not reach them until after the telegram and a second letter from their son.

January 4, 1945 23rd Gen’l Hosp. France

Dear Mom, Dad and all —

Here’s a letter I hope reaches you before the telegram from the war department or the Red Cross. I know how that would scare the daylights out of you, although you must have expected something like this after all these months.

Well, anyway, on January 1, Jerry got pretty active and I happened to catch a fragment in my chest. I had a pretty hard time breathing at first, but am in excellent care and will let you know what develops. I would write more, but my arm is stiff from so many shots. Getting along fine. Don’t worry.

Love, Orris