Pastor’s Pen: Regular car maintenance
When summer comes there are many trips in the car. Before you make that long trip, here’s a vehicle checklist you may want to go through:
• Check your oil.
• Check the air pressure in your tires, including the spare.
• Check the transmission fluid and coolant level.
• When was your battery last replaced?
• Check the brake fluid, power steering fluid and windshield washer reservoir.
• When was the air filter last changed? It may need to be replaced.
• Is there any vibration when you drive? If so, get that checked out.
• Make certain your jack is operable and there are tools in the vehicle.
• Check the horn, lights and windshield wipers.
• Depending on the season, be certain the AC or heater is working properly.
Regular vehicle maintenance is important so your car will last longer with fewer major problems. Before going on a long trip it’s important to be sure everything is in working order to help prevent problems ahead of time.
The same is true as we take our spiritual journey. There is a road to travel. If we know Christ, our destination is God’s abode and eventually the new heaven and new earth. But we’re not there yet. We still have some traveling to do and maintenance is needed along the way. Here’s a spiritual checklist:
• Romans 10:9 – Do you know Christ as you Savior?
• Psalm 119:11 – Are you studying and memorizing God’s Word?
• Galatians 6:10 – Are you doing good to all, especially believers?
• 1 Thessalonians 5:17 – Are you praying always?
• Matthew 28:18-20 – Are you sharing Christ and making disciples of Him?
• Hebrews 10:25 – Are you gathering with other believers and encouraging them?
You may have just begun your journey with Christ, be in the middle or nearing the end; but these spiritual maintenance tips need to be followed in order to prevent problems with sin and losing sight of the calling of Christ.
Keep serving Him and use these tips to help you along the way.