In my house I have two recliners that are exactly alike … almost. One works perfectly fine and I use it all the time. The other requires extra effort to raise the footrest. The problem seems easy enough to fix. A few months after having the used recliner I noticed the issue with the footrest. I wasn’t certain what the problem was until I found half a bolt under the chair. I flipped it over and found where it was to go. So I decided to fix it. I went to the hardware store, purchased the bolt and, with some effort, maneuvered the parts to fit the bolt into the hole. Good as new!
At least it was for a few more months. Then it happened again. I flipped it over, fixed the bolt and off we go. This happened several more times. Obviously there was some other issue with my recliner. I looked all over and finally discovered the real problem. The frame on the recliner is broken causing the entire chair to sit lower and a little to one side. This puts added pressure on the bolt causing it to sever in two. I can replace the bolt all I want, but to truly fix the chair I need to adjust the frame.