BACK IN TIME — June 14, 2017

40 Years Ago

JUNE 16, 1977



Orton’s IGA, of Evart, is in the midst of a building expansion.

Construction began last month on a 45 x 100 foot addition to the east side of the building. The result of the construction will be three additional aisles to the store, plus widening of existing aisles.

“The frozen food, dairy and non-food department will be enlarged with the construction,” says Orton co-owner Marvin Cass.

Construction is expected to take 60 days.

60 Years Ago

JUNE 13, 1957



North Cedar

Mr. and Mrs. Vern Lisco and sons, of Big Rapids, spent Sunday afternoon and evening with Mr. and Mrs. Irvin Truman and family.

Mrs. Lewis Klomp entered the Reed City Hospital on Thursday.

Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Smith entertained the Cedar Home Economics Club members and their husbands Thursday evening at their home.

Carrol and Sue Curtis, of Rose Lake, spent Wednesday night with their grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. C. M. Kenney.

~ ~ ~

Hersey News

Miss Carolyn Rice went to Shepherd Sunday to spend the day with her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. John O’Boyle.

Mr. and Mrs. George

Zimmerman and family came from Albion on Sunday to spend the day with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Albert Zimmerman.

Mrs. Keith Martin, of

Sears, accompanied her sister, Mrs. Sam Johnson, to Big Rapids on Saturday forenoon.

Mr. and Mrs. Clifton Steinhoff went to Freeland Sunday afternoon to visit her mother, Mrs. May Rehbein.

80 Years Ago

JUNE 10, 1937



Mr. and Mrs. Harry Johnson and son, Lyle, and Miss Howe, were Sunday visitors at the Orlo Belleville home.

Mr. and Mrs. John Hinkley and children, Ralph and Marjory, are spending the week in Grand Rapids at a stock show.

Mr. and Mrs. Dan Wilky, of Mount Pleasant, visited Mr. and Mrs. James Boyd Sunday.

Mr. and Mrs. Seymour Barker and daughters, Wanda and Mrs. Sutliff, Mrs. Millard Henry and Stanley Marsh, visited Mrs. E. W. Sutliff in Flint over the weekend.

Mrs. Orlo Belleville cared for the children of Mr. and Mrs. Loy Belleville while the latter were in Midland over the weekend.

Mr. and Mrs. Vail Thompson were weekend guests of Mr. and Mrs. Claude Barker over the weekend.

~ ~ ~

Tule School

Mr. and Mrs. Henry Sorensen and family moved to Evart Friday from the Youngs cottage at Big Lake. A truckload of furniture caught fire and did considerable damage before it was extinguished.

Tule School has closed for the summer months.

Miss Hazel Bell, of Sylvan, spent the weekend at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Lloyd.

100 Years Ago

JUNE 15, 1917



Maple Grove (Sylvan)

Mr. McCord and Jay Allen buzzed wood last week.

Mrs. Ernest Hiatt and daughter returned home Wednesday.

The Endeavor, led by Miss Bessie Robinson, last Sunday night, was good.

Harry and Freddie Pritchard are staying with their Grandpa Moore for a time.

Miss Bessie Robinson, who is working for Mr. Gaffney, in East Sylvan, spent Sunday at home.

Chippewa Station

Henry Chartier went to Saginaw Tuesday.

Everybody seems to be sick with la grippe and a strange summer cold that has been moving around the area.

Mrs. Cara Frink returned to her home in Lansing Saturday.

Mrs. Gardie Brooks, who has been visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Heinzleman, for the past week, returned to her home in Flint Saturday.

Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Walter went to Flint Saturday to live.

~ ~ ~

From the Dighton Enterprise

It made Dighton citizens Stop, Look and Listen last Friday morning when a life sized G. R. & I. passenger train flew into town. Owing to the wreck on the railroad near Osceola Junction, they were obliged to go around by Marion via A. A. R. R., and M. E. & W.

– Dighton Enterprise.



120 Years Ago

JUNE 11, 1897



Chippewa Station

It is reported that Samuel Hammelshire’s youngest child is quite ill.

Miss Lucille Baker returned home Friday night from the county farm, where she has been working for the past year.

Mr. Frank Rood shipped a car load of cattle and sheep from here last week. We understand that he bought six head of cattle of W. J. Manley.

The dull monotony of Chippewa Station was somewhat relieved Saturday night by a small gathering at the home of John DeFord. A very pleasant evening was spent, music and dancing being the chief entertainment.

~ ~ ~

District No. 1

The rains did much damage to the surrounding bridges, the one at F. Davis’, Wm. Munroe, Edd. Brown’s, and also the big fill lately made by Wm. Orr being washed out.

“Mossback,” while on his way to Evart Thursday, met with an obstruction at the big fill. When toll was demanded he promised to bring back a bottle. On his return in the afternoon, the temptation had been so great that the bottle had been emptied. Better take warning, “Mossback,” and not let it get the start of you. By the way, how will you trade the bottle for honey?

140 Years Ago

JUNE 15, 1877



Dry and dusty.

Much sunny weather.

Streams are rather low.

Showers are scarce this month.

Fred Leasia is our new Marshal.

Work has comnmenced on the new Church.

The Board of Supervisors will meet next Tuesday.

Not many pigeons are being seen in this vicinity.

Get your wife some of those calling cards just received at the Review office.

An adjourned meeting of the Village Board will be held next Monday evening.

Another invoice of new books for the Osceola Township Library has arrived.

If it be true that flirting is only in its infancy; what a fearful thing it will be when fully grown.

Mrs. L. R. Stearney and her son, aged about three years, were quite seriously injured at the Depot, yesterday, by the sudden starting of the team while being loaded with their goods.

The paymaster of the F. & P. M. R’y passed west over the road on the 10th inst., disbursing the needful to employees.

Thomas Austin, a former typo of this office, had a present from his wife on the 3rd inst. In the shape of an eleven pound girl.